Friday, August 23, 2013

That time...

I used mayonnaise as a hair treatment. Yes, I did. 
I typically enjoy mayonnaise on my sandwiches-call me gross. I try to avoid it as much as possible just like I try to avoid french fries, chocolate, ice cream...you get the idea. I don't typically enjoy the smell of mayonnaise and I soon learned that I really disliked touching it with bare hands and smothering it in my hair. 
Let me back up - I was in the kitchen with my two little cousins whom I have the pleasure of spending the rest (all two weeks) of summer with before I start my new job. We were braiding hair, getting ready for karate and as I was in mid-brush, I noticed something in her hair, at the root. It resembled a small bug just cruising along her hair shaft. Next scene- you catch me getting a little closer-to get a better look, keeping quiet and starting to jump to conclusions in my mind. 
Long story short- all of that scratching I noticed that morning between both girls proved to my horror to be .... Lice. Such a terrible word...Lice. It makes you itch just thinking about it. Believe me, I wanted to take a shower right then and there. What ensued that day was an immediate call to Olga (my mother AKA queen of the universe/life saver), and then two little girls with their heads shampooed in the tub, and then...two little girls with their heads covered in mayonnaise and wrapped in shower caps for the rest of the day. Safe to say - we didn't really go anywhere that day, besides a quick trip to Chikfila (drive-thru of course). They had a rough morning which warranted Chikfila completely. 

Anyway, my mom explained that mayonnaise kills the lice bugs and afterwards the eggs need to be combed out of little ones hair and then she made the girls feel better and even had them laughing at themselves in their mayo shower caps - what a woman she is!

She also explained that mayonnaise is a treatment to get shiny hair as well. Who knew!
So this is what my evening looked like: 


Yup. Between my incredible fear of those little suckers some how jumping into the jungle of hair I have on my head and my utter curiosity/desire for shiny hair; I put large globs of mayonnaise in my hair. When I say large globs - I mean it. I have the hair of 3 people on my head. During the summer it feels like a large scarf around my neck. I used the rest of the mayonnaise and it was disgusting. David refused to sleep next to me that evening and I really don't blame him. Romeo on the other hand loved me even more. He apparently likes mayo just like his mama. 

Anyway, since you are all probably wondering - the mayo actually worked. I woke up, washed my hair (4 times - not kidding), blow dried it and it was unbelievably shiny. I even had a few compliments as to how clean and shiny my hair looked that day. If only they knew.....
Oh and no, I don't have lice - if you were wondering that too but I may use this mayo treatment more often - if I can get over the smell of my head smelling like a sandwich. 

: ) 


1 comment :

  1. Avocado works too with mayo I think;)) my aunt knows the magic.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by : )

Blog Design by Get Polished