Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Thoughts on Pregnancy - First Trimester

It's been awhile and I know, that phrase is used all too much on this blog but I haven't really been able to pinpoint what is road blocking my creatively lately to keep it up, but it's something. I'm not sure if it's EVERYTHING that has been swirling around in this whole big world of mine for the last 8 or so months, but I'm blaming it on that. Big wedding, big move, big new jobs, and baby, and now another move (only across the highway! thankfully!).

Anyway, so I know one of my last posts was about David and I having a baby (yay!) and I regret not keeping up to date with this blog as my pregnancy progressed but I have some time to reflect right now and I figured why not? The sole purpose of this blog - if not to give me an outlet for creativity and writing, was to look back and have something where our lives and the crazy turns they take, are documented. The good and the bad, I always say. So let me get down to the good and the bad of pregnancy and what I've learned so far.

As a foreword- I am not claiming to be some all-knowing preggo lady that has ALL the advice for other baby carrying superheroes out there, so please do not take anything I am saying offensively. This space here is just for me to reflect on my life, feelings, and perspective : )

First Trimester 

I was on a complete cloud of fluffy goodness yet sheer panic and anxiety when we found out that little P was going to be joining our super little fam in 9 months. It was a little bit of a surprise but the best surprise we could have possibly imagined. We were just in the beginning of settling in our new home in San Antonio, adjusting to new positions/careers, and missing our family pretty badly; so it definitely brought a big burst of sunshine into our crazy hectic lives and gave us something so incredibly awesome to look forward to and experience. 

I was pretty tired, sick, and moody in the beginning. I'll admit it because I know David would say this if he were writing this blog - good thing he isn't. Everything made me feel sick and tired, besides the peanut butter chocolate soy banana smoothies I'd have every morning to get rid of my nausea and be able to stomach the prenatal vitamins I dreaded having to take. I lived on saltine crackers, my PB Chocolate Soy Banana Smoothies, and baked potatoes for the first 14 weeks of my pregnancy. The upside to this (which I was completely scared of for a long while) was that I didn't really gain much weight at all in the first trimester, so I didn't really feel like my body was different and to be honest, I didn't really feel pregnant besides the nausea. My body felt the same. 

On the downside - my workouts took a backseat which was a little excruciating for me. I'm a pretty avid walker, Jillian Michaels and Yoga guru. I love to walk about 4 miles a day for at least 4 days a week on a normal basis (I hate running, yet I do that when I'm feeling extra motivated) and I follow Jillian Michaels workouts like my life depends on it but more so my behind and my legs/arms. I also love my yoga and occasional meditating afterwards. During my first trimester, all of those workouts felt like I was running a marathon and was never going to make it. I pushed myself to walk every day but it was rough and I could get through about 50 minutes of yoga but either wanted to vomit or take a nap afterwards. I tried to keep it up but my fitness suffered pretty badly my first trimester and so that was one of the downs of pregnancy for me in the beginning. On the bright side, I was able to savor a lot of good sleep in that first trimester before the sleepless nights that I'm experiencing now hit!

Anyway, physically like I mentioned, I didn't feel pregnant and at times I actually felt really bad about myself because I wasn't exactly feeling "connected" with this little being growing inside of me. I'd tell David some nights that I felt like a terrible person because I'm not feeling a connection with the baby and that was a little hard to swallow at first until our second ultrasound. During our second ultrasound, the tech was chitchatting up a storm, as I saw this little body with legs kicking and jumping pop up on the screen. The tech handed me a mint and said "Eat it and watch what happens." So I did. In a few minutes, the little being I was watching intently on the screen starting doing little somersaults. David looked at me with his mouth wide open and said "wow, that's a baby." He has such great reactions people! It was honestly one of the coolest moments I have ever experienced. I couldn't feel the movements but watching them on screen as they were projected from what was happening inside of me was utterly amazing. That was my baby. We didn't find the gender out at that appointment but we did later on, which I will tell you about in my next post! 

After that appointment, we were so happy and excited to meet this little jelly bean! The rest of the first trimester went the same until about 14 weeks, when I miraculously was given my energy back and potato chips became my best friend for about a good 2-3 weeks. I'll tell you about that next time. I think I've gone overdrive on baby talk for one post!

Happy Tuesday!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by : )

Blog Design by Get Polished